|Editor’s note: this is a guest post by Mark Woods, author of Attack Your Day! Before It Attacks You.|
Imagine there is a bank that credits your account each morning with $86,400. It carries over no balance from day to day and every evening deletes whatever part of the balance you failed to use during the day.
What would you do? Draw out every cent of course and figure out how to spend it later! Well we do have such a bank; its name is the bank of time. Every morning, it credits you with 86,400 seconds. Every night it writes off as lost, whatever you failed to invest to good purpose. How much time do you write off at the end of the day? Do you know?
Planning in advance will help you determine what you’ll do next as you arrange the order for accomplishing the activities on your list. The challenge is that our most important resource—our time—is limited.
Think of time as space. Time is the space in which we live. Just as a box is a space we fill with goods, an hour is a “time box” we fill with activities. Looking at time as space makes it easier to manage.
When we begin to look at an hour as a space in which we will execute activities, we are forced to be more realistic when we plan and budget our time. Where do your 24 hours go?
- List your typical daily activities both work and personal on a sheet of paper. Include your sleep time, exercise, family, meals, cleaning, work, etc.
- Next, write down how much time you spend on each activity. Total the time; it should be equal to 24 hours.
- Create a daily time budget that works for you.
Tips When Making a Time Budget:
- Plan at least two hours for “interruptions.” Interruptions are the one thing we can count on happening every day.
- Make sleep time a priority. You will be more productive if you get at least seven hours of sleep.
- Just say “no.” When you have a time budget it’s easier to stop over-committing.
Time is your most precious commodity. Invest it wisely.
|Mark Woods is an expert in time management training and author of the book “Attack Your Day! Before It Attacks You“|