But, unfortunately, not many people can claim success in this area. Finding balance is a common struggle for most busy professionals. All work and no play.
The good news is, you can find work-life balance. It’s not as difficult and elusive as it seems. Try these six essential tips:
- Include personal tasks in your planner’s daily priorities list. When you sit down and write out your schedule, commit to having at least 2-3 non-work related activities each day.
- Set and pursue at least 1 personal goal at the beginning of each month. Use your monthly calendar to schedule goal-related activities each week.
- Track how you spend your time. At the end of each day, make a list in your planner of what you did and how long it took. Hopefully, you’ll have some personal, home, and family activities written down.
- Increase your personal time by cutting back mindless TV and internet browsing that waste valuable minutes you could spend reading, talking with family, or doing household duties.
- Minimize your commitments to others — you must protect your own time, because others won’t.
- Eat well, sleep well. Live a healthier life and you’ll benefit through increased energy levels during off-work hours. Don’t go home and collapse on the couch, when you could be spending this time on important activities.
Yes, injecting more personal time into your life is essential, but not always easy.
Find your work life balance and get yourself on the right path to living a rewarding personal life with family, friends and self-interests, and you’ll be a more productive and stress-free employee.