In your post-college job search, every detail of every conversation, email, and job lead is pure gold. That’s why you must create a consistent series of daily activities that increases your focus and increases your chances of success.
Use the following 9 steps and create a daily job search routine that’ll work for you:
- Dedicate a notebook, planner, or journal as your dedicated job seeker’s bible
- Record and track all daily leads, activities, ideas and conversations each day
- Find a new lead? Start a new page
- List the job title – be sure use the specific keywords
- Write where your lead was found, keeping track of career sites/links is helpful
- Record all contact names, titles, email addresses, and phone numbers
- Resume/cover letter sent? Indicate when it was done, (if not, schedule a follow-up task)
- Keep a communications log, listing list all responses from employers, and emails/phone messages you have left
- Always mark down your follow-up needs, and assign dates to get them done
Final tip: Once a job lead has been completely exhausted, you can keep the contact sheet in your records. You never know when a cold lead may warm back up, and now you can use a body of work to your advantage.