|Jumpstart Monday | Get your week off to a great start with the Day-Timer blog. Each Monday we feature a new tip to help you gain a more productive week at work and at home.|
|Today’s tip: Identify your personal barrier|
You have a task on your list that never gets done each week. Here’s a good way to break through the barriers to getting that difficult task done.
Identify your personal barrier. Procrastination typically has one of three causes:
- The task is unpleasant
- You are afraid you might fail
- You don’t know where to begin
What is holding you back?
If you identify the reason behind your procrastination you’ll have a much better chance of moving forward and getting it done.
Here are some solutions:
- Unpleasant tasks: Set a timer and do 30 minutes of work. Then give yourself a reward before doing another 30 minutes.
- Fear of failure: Write down your worst possible outcome. In your paper planner, it never seems as threatening.
- No entry point: Break down the task into small enough pieces where the first 3 activities can fill a half hour. Momentum will follow.
|Day-Timer Spokesperson Jeff Doubek can be reached at [email protected]|