The secret to a stress-free vacation is in the details. Once your details are organized you’ll enjoy the confidence and peace of mind as your break begins. Plan now so you can relax and put your brain on autopilot later. Try these stress-free vacation planning tips:
- Schedule all preparation steps. Create a list of all the pre-trip tasks and schedule them over the weeks and days approaching your trip. This includes packing, holding mail, notifying neighbors, and pet care.
- Create packing lists. Make the important decisions before you open your suitcase or load your car. It’s easy to overlook the obvious when you’re knee deep in packing.
- Prep the car. If you’re planning a road trip be sure to schedule service time. Get the oil and air filter changed, check your tire pressure, fill up the gas, and give it a good clean up before you go. It makes the travel time that much more enjoyable.
- Check the weather. Having even a rough idea as to how the weather will behave can positively impact your packing and preparation.
- Make flying preparations. Prepare your carry-on accessories and toiletries for the security line. Check in online. Most airlines now allow you to print your own boarding passes, and many airports allow you to pass up the ticket lines and check your own bag via kiosk.
- Get your directions together. This includes all roadways in and around your destination. Finding your way out a rental car lot can even be a stressful experience. Take the necessary steps to chart your course.
- Create a budget. Sit down and establish reasonable expectations for each day of your trip. Knowing your limits now will save you from major anxiety when the credit card bill arrives.
- Create an activities list. This is most useful if the weather ruins beach time for you and your kids. Search online for movie theaters, museums, and other interesting area destinations.
- Create a schedule. It doesn’t have to be a strict daily regimen, but having a general goal and activity planned for each day keeps your time focused, and keeps expectations reasonable.
- Take time to relax. Each day, make an appointment with yourself to breathe life in, and exhale your stress. Don’t go home wishing you relaxed more. Make it a conscious effort.
Do you have any special tips for organizing your vacation time? Please share your ideas by commenting below.